QARIB’s Green Journalism Scholarships
8 Scholarships for Jordanian journalism on climate change and the environment
Environmental issues and the effects of climate change are a major challenge in the Middle East and in Jordan in particular. Access to clean water, pollution and the decrease of arable land – to name but a few challenges – also affect Jordan’s political, social and economic reality. Therefore, these issues are urgent and important to the public, they require more attention, and more public debate. For this reason, and in the context of the Environment Week, organized by the French Embassy in Jordan, CFI’s Qarib Program is pleased to announce a scholarship program for 8 productions by individual freelance journalists, a team of journalists or by media outlets in Jordan covering environmental and climate change related topics in five categories:
- Data driven journalism report–1000-1500 written words accompanied by creative multimedia (infographics, photos, clips, animation etc.): 2 scholarships for 1.400 JOD each.
- Video report – between 10-15 minutes long: 2 scholarships for 2000 JOD each.
- Audio – Radio or podcast report, between 15-20 minutes: 2 scholarships for 1000 JOD each.
- Animations – between 5-10 minutes: 2 scholarships for 1000 JOD each.
- Photo story – Between 8-15 photos with captions: 2 scholarships for 1000 JOD.
In addition to the scholarships for journalistic production, the Qarib program also covers the costs of transport and accommodation. These must be specified in advance in the application (see below).
The aim of the scholarship program is to strengthen public awareness and debate on climate change and the environment through professional, well-researched media coverage. This will also be ensured through a celebration to be hosted on 3 November 2022, where all productions will be exhibited.
- Application deadline: 20 September 08:00 PM Amman
- Notification of selected applicants by 25 September, after which production will start.
- Completion of productions by 23 October at the latest.
- Celebration and exhibition of the productions on 3 November
Our selection criteria:
- Practicing individual freelance journalists, teams of journalists and media outlets are eligible to apply
- Relevance of the proposed topic, depth of research.
- Ability to produce the proposed topic within a month.
- Compliance with Journalistic standards: accuracy, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
- Gender balance must be ensured.
- Reach: number and feasibility of reaching the intended readership.
- Creativity and innovation in content and format. Interactive formats that invite readers to debate are preferred.
- The topics must be new, the production must not have been published before.
How to apply:
- Develop a topic related to environment and climate change in Jordan in all aspects, social, economic or political, that takes our selection criteria into account.
- Fill in the application template (Download here). Regarding the final productions, note that the written content must be translated into English, for the audio content an English summary must be provided, the video content must have English subtitles. Eventual expenses have to be borne by the scholarship holders and have to be taken into account when applying. Also note that travel expenses (travel, accommodation and meals) will be reimbursed, they must be specified in the application.
- Add your CV
- Send it no later than 20.9.2022 at 8:00 pm Amman time to firstname.lastname@example.org .